Thursday, November 20, 2008

Who is the best at 'Breaking News?'

Who is the best at reporting shocking news earliest?

Well, it is definitely not CNN. As you know ~25 minutes before this post, the incumbent Attorney General of the United States collapsed while giving a speech. I first saw this on Yahoo! Then I raced to CNN.com to see what they had to say about it and they didn't have that story there yet. I went to couple of other popular news websites that I usually visit and I discovered the conservative Drudge Report post the news second fastest (at least according to my surfing habits). Then I saw MSNBC post the news. I went back to CNN and still nothing on front page or political page . As time passed I saw the Politico website post it too, but they could have been first I just went there late, and usually they post stuff up really fast. Eventually CNN posted it and once CNN posted it, a whole host of other news websites followed suit.

So CNN for a big news agency, is pretty slow at posting. I noticed this during the elections too. It could be due to confirmation perhaps, or something else. But my point is that because CNN has become so established and has a well known name with loyal fans, the monster news agency has either started slacking off or just been taking advantage of us readers. I guess they can afford to do that.

For instance, once I saw a news article on Ahmedinejad, the President of Iran on Yahoo! when he spoke at the UN (FYI: Yahoo is not where I get most of my news from). I compared that article to CNN. I noticed that the Yahoo! article got right to the core of the story and the main points of Ahmedinejad's speech. It discussed implications of Ahmedinejad's call for dialogue and analyzed Iran's continued pursuit of nuclear fuel. However, CNN didn't. Instead CNN put up a big, scary picture of him and touched the least important aspects of the speech. And they didn't even mention the dialogue portion as the Yahoo! article did. The amazing writer of that CNN report was smart enough to make it sound like Iranian President was calling for immediate war on the West. If the author of the Yahoo article and the CNN article were put in the same room, I assure you that they would not agree with each other that is how different their reports on the Iranian leader were.

So why the discrepancy? I'm not saying that the Yahoo article was pro-nuclear armed Iran. I'm just saying that it got right to the matter without swinging from here to there.

Beware! Don't let CNN brainwash you (Lazy, but shrewd).

(Of course when it comes to brainwashing, there is no comparison of CNN to FOX. Sly Fox is the ultimate brainwashing machine)

No comments: