Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Topless Coffee shop waitresses

So I'm sure many of you read about the topless coffee shop and the interview with some of the waitresses and the 150 applicant pool for 10 positions. Here is what I think about it.

Firstly, I hate it when women state the common argument "no, I love it...I find it very empowering, not degrading" because it's so stupid and illogical as that waitress said. I was so shocked to hear that. Why could not she just be honest and say "I need the money" instead of lying?

So to those of you who are advocates of such coffee shops, please cut the nonsense, how is it NOT degrading?? You're being viewed as an object, not as someone who's opinion matters. If those men got their way, they could get rougher not more respectful. Respect comes with power. And those women are not in a position of power; they are serving coffee to those in power. How's that "empowering?"

If that is not degrading then I wonder what is.

Here is the original article.

No comments: